Thursday, August 7, 2008

Plateau Ho! Oh, No!

Travelogue of Trials and Tribulations of
Kate A. Hollis
Inaugural Solo Journey to the Trading Post

9:20 Big Dog Office, Fairview
Pick up Nathan's last commission check. Jon offers congratulations and condolences on gas station ownership. Decide to go inside to redeem coupon for my free trial of McCafe coffee. Drive thru line too long should be quicker inside.

9:55 McDonalds, Fairview
Special Ed forgot my order. I think he went searching for more cups or got distracted by something shiny.

10:05, car, Fairview
Ahhh, great coffee. Even if I wasted a half hour. I need the caffeine boost.

10:20, Home, Kingston Springs
Discover some sort of water leak in basement. After further investigation it is dog pee. While cleaning massive spill, smell dog poo and dispose of it with haste.

11:00, Driveway, Kingston Springs
Hit the Road! While driving away realize I forgot the dog's collars. Decide to stop in Cookeville's Petco to purchase new ones.

12:47 Petco, Cookeville
Take all animals in. Jury rig leash into collar for Pete. He charges at first person who gives him attention and leash gives. Luckily we were close to the leash isle and the kind man held onto Pete while I snatched a collar. I think they only peed on one thing in the store. We leave and take potty and water break. Must remember to thank Buster and Hogan for the doggie canteen.

1:10 enroute to I40 east
gps can't find Suntrust bank in Cookeville??? Discover I must go back 35 miles to Lebanon or drive 30 miles past my destination to Oak Ridge. Opt for Oak Ridge.

2:30 cmt/ 3:30 est Suntust Bank, Kroger Shopping Center, Oak Ridge
Discover this branch is in a Kroger. Contemplate driving to other branch 2 miles away. Decide to just run in and return quickly to water dogs and take potty break. Ready to continue on to our destination. But car fails to start. Flag down older hippie man to give me a jump. Nothing. Another man stops, offers to try his truck. Nothing. Volunteers to go to Auto store nearby to ask them to come service me. They won't. Meanwhile Hippie is still trying to juice my battery and Nathan calls to see why I'm so late. I hated to burden him with this worry. Kroger cart boys keep circling and checking with genuine concern and bring extra water and ice for Pete and Mo who became to very hot dogs. Several strangers offer us water assistance while we wait. I am so touched by the kidness of strangers and worry that I wanted to cry. Hippie man and I decide it's best to call a tow truck. It takes awhile to find one since it's almost 5 here and it's Friday. Mr. Hippie insists on waiting with me while I take dogs to Kroger's cart barn to cool off.

4:15 cmt/5:15 est Kroger Parking lot, Oak Ridge
Cowboy tower arrives. His boss says no pets in cab but he don't mind. Trying to get dogs in cab, Pete's new collar slips off and he chugs off for Kroger sounding much like a freight train. Mo runs after him and his collar unlatches! A stranger nearby offers to take Molly and I quickly catch Mo. Meanwhile Pete's inside the Kroger frantically searching for a place to crash.

4:27cmt/5:27est somewhere in Oak Ridge, enroute to Trading Post
Pete is sucking wind with his face in the air vent. I try to wipe his drool so it won't drip on tow truck. Mo readjusts in my lap then pukes on my pants, runs down my leg. And I can feel it on my feet and my favorite gold flip flops. Molly is lump on my shoulder and panting. I am so worried about my pets and want to cry. Cowboy is telling me about drama with dispatch at the tow company, how he can't quit because he's in debt on his trailer park lot but wants to quit because this call (me,my call) is making him miss his 12 year old twins' birthday party and he never gets to spend time with them and that his 5th wife is really upset that he's missing this party. All I can think is can't this truck go any faster.
5:00cmt/6:00est The Trading Post, Rockwood
I am covered in puke, slobber and sweat. My hair feels as big as Texas and I'm so happy to see my husband and my new weekend home.

3 comments:

Becca

Holy crap. I laughed so hard. That sounds like some experiences we've had with our dogs! I hope all is well at the Trading Post!!! :)

Claire

I could not stop laughing out loud! Glad everyone made it to the Trading Post in one piece!

Anonymous

oh my goodness gracious, Kate! i guess made walking into the grungy living space at the TP that you had to clean seem like no big deal....although if it had been me, that may have been the straw that broke the camel's back and made me a freaked out mess! what was actually wrong with your car? fuel pump?