Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rocky Top

One of my students gave me a Sweet William plant as an end of the year parting gift. It's beautiful and such a thoughtful gift. To blow off some steam after the FINAL DAY OF SCHOOL, I decided to plant it. Only our yard is in a shall we say, natural, untouched state and I didn't really have a great home for "Willie". We'll see if he makes it, as I tend to have a brown thumb and have quite a few elements working against me. Challenge #1 - Love the Tennessee fight song, but hate to discover how true it really is. Sing it with me now, "Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me, good 'Ole Rocky Top, Woo, Rocky Top Tennessee...". I had to dig and dig and battle rocks to make the small hole needed to plant my Sweet William!

Challenge #2 - Our barren landscaping... we moved into our home in July, in the middle of a record breaking heat wave. What a time to try to cultivate new grass seed or new landscaping! We decided to forgo landscaping until we can install an irrigation system. After that is accomplished bring on the sod and shrubbery. (However, I think we'll be forgoing until we hit the lottery or strike oil or weasel our way onto HGTV's Groundbreakers). So until then, I've opted to enjoy the rustic, natural look of our Kingston Springs topography.

Challenge #3 - Clay, clay, clay and more clay! Although I did manage to throw in a little potting soil and fertilizer into the hole.

Challenge #4 - My brown thumb. I have a bad track record with plants.

Poor, Sweet William. I hope Willie can hang on and make it this summer!

0 comments: