Friday, June 11, 2010

Short Lived Debate

We live in the country. Kind of.
We live out of the city limits. Barely.
We are reading up on gardening. Often.
We are searching Craigslist/Farm+Garden. Obsessively.

Which leads to our current debate... Do we purchase a couple of Guinea Hens? The perk of Guineas is they eat ticks. Lots and lots of ticks. And spiders, ants, weedseeds, and maybe even small snakes and did I mention they eat ticks? But they don't eat gardens. Of course this is all Nathan's idea. It sounded really great. Useful pets, right? So I start my own research campaign and discover this video clip (among others):



Ummmm, hmmm. I think Guineas are out. After more reading, apparently they serve as "watchdogs" in addition to tick eradicators. Whenever a disturbance occurs, the noise gets WORSE. More shrill. And this video only shows ONE making noise. Not a whole gaggle, or flock or whatever you call a tribe of guineas. I would love to find a nearby farm where I can see them live in person to do some first hand research. They are kind of cute when they are quiet. And they can be fun to watch. Hmmmm......

Genesis 1:21

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good."

0 comments: